HISTORY OF BRANT FAMILY AND CHILDREN’S SERVICES
The Ontario Child Protection Act was passed to protect children from cruelty and neglect.
Brantford Children’s Aid Society. Addressing the first meeting is J. J. Kelso, Superintendent for the Province of Dependent and Helpless Children.
The Brantford Courier reports that The Children’s Aid home on Darling Street exemplifies “Kind care and keeping”. In his Annual Report, Secretary Thompson urges citizens to “…continue to give this great work of child rescue and child saving your earnest consideration…”
February 9th. The Brantford Courier reports on the 6th Annual Meeting of the Brantford CAS. Secretary Thompson’s report suggests “…to have children adopted a distance from their former home …” to ensure that these children will become satisfied with their new homes. The Treasurer’s Report, by Mr. C. Cook, indicated the operating balance was $6.04 and total costs for the year were $674.97.
S. M. Thompson dies. Many mourn his passing. The Brantford Children’s Aid Society endeavors to erect a shelter in Thompson’s memory.
The Annual Report indicates that operating costs exceeded $2,000.00 for the year. Mrs. Peter Wood donates the Thompson residence to the Society.
Secretary J. Leslie Axford reports on a very busy year, “It was pleasing to present to you such a heavy year’s work…Every item of statistics showed increase except the number made over to the care of the Society by the courts”.
The annual report shows that “…for the first time, to his (J. Leslie Axford) knowledge, they have had to have children await their admission until they could care for them.”
The 40th Anniversary of The Children’s Aid Society of Brant, J. J. Kelso retires from the Provincial Children’s Aid Society.
The 50th Anniversary of the CAS of Brant. Statistics from the Annual Report indicated that 1830 visits and 1026 office interviews had taken place; 2657 phone conversations were made while 267 reports were completed. Salaries for 1944 exceeded $7,000.00.
The Brantford Expositor does a promotional article on the local CAS. The article outlines the agency’s history, financing through the Community Chest, Board Members, and staff.
October. CAS of Brant is highlighted as a benefactor during the Community Chest, campaign.
May – the 59th Annual Meeting. The services of the CAS, as outlined by A.L. Binkley, retiring President, are described as “…adoption, help to unmarried mothers, and the prevention of serious family break up”.
January. Eric I. Smit, the Administrator of The CAS of Brant indicates that the local Society has been involved in the consultation process regarding the provision of services to the Indian Reserves.
May. The Brantford Expositor reports that 639 children were helped by The Family Service Division of the CAS; 340 children were in care; and 54 final adoptions orders were obtained.
The Child Welfare Act is re-written.
Nora Fox becomes the first female Executive Director of The CAS of Brant. During her tenure, Mrs. Fox increased staff, initiated in-service training, and encouraged the extension of services to the Six Nations Reserve.
March. The first ever party is held to honor local Foster Parents. The Teaching Homemaker’s program operated out of area churches.
February. Brantford’s poor economy is revealed in the increasing numbers for the local CAS.
January. The S.M. Thompson Residence undergoes renovations including the creation of a walkway to link the former residence to the Administration Building.
September. The CAS of Brant offered a six-week course in Foster Parenting. “Our objective is to have people in a better position, after taking the course, to make the decision of foster care parenting,” stated Marvin Bader, Family Services Supervisor.
Reorganization of top management staff occurs.
Roy Walsh is hired as Executive Director. Months later, a plan to re-organize the Society is released. Four programs were eliminated and two Family Support Units began.
October. The new Six Nations Branch of The CAS opens and is staffed entirely by Native people.
September. The opening of The Family Resource Centre at 14 Henry Street.
August. The opening of The Dalhousie Street Residence Group Home in conjunction with the St. Leonard’s Society.
January: Resignation of Roy Walsh is accepted.
March: Andrew J.Koster is appointed new Executive Director.
July: Purchased 80 Chatham Street for additional office space.
September: Staff moved and re-organized to utilize new space.
October: Achievement of OACAS Accreditation.
July: Brant FACS Board endorses and staff integrate the Adoption of United Nations policy on Alternative Care of Children (PDF).
The Children’s Aid Society of Brant changes its name to Brant Family and Children’s Services as a result of feedback received from families, youth and service providers in our community. They strongly encouraged us to change our name and logo to better reflect our philosophy of offering diverse supports and services when working together with families and communities to create healthy and safe environments for all children and youth.
The agency also worked with youth, families and service providers this year to create the new agency logo.